The City of Union City and Union City Chamber of Commerce will highlight eight local businesses they deem “outstanding” at a special awards luncheon Thursday.
From noon to 2 p.m. at City Hall, local officials will recognize the companies based on their success in a variety of categories, from innovation to environmental awareness.
According to the city, the following businesses will be awarded:
Innovation Business Award: Synterys
- According to the awards criteria, this local medicinal chemistry company was selected for advancing its business through innovation. According to a June Economic and Community Development Department report, Synterys has grown 60 percent in the last two years. The company shares a space with Ryss Lab on Kohoutek Way and is in talks with a Bay Area university about relocating their research and development lab to Union City.
Ambassador Business Award:
- The medical diagnostics company will be awarded for its efforts in promoting Union City and raising the city’s profile. The company’s CEO Clint Severson often speaks at high profile events, including the Morgan Stanley Global Healthcare Conference, which is being held today in New York. The growing company is located in the Crossroads Technology Park on Whipple Road and employs 360 people.
Small Business Award: ChiroSports USA
- One of Union City’s most renowned health and wellness clinics, ChiroSports specializes in chiropractic, massage therapy, sports conditioning and acupuncture. According to the awards criteria, the local business — which sponsors and participates in a number of community events, including the recent Relay for Life — was selected for its continued growth and commitment to achievement. The clinic is located at 1780 Whipple Rd.
New Business Award: Gexpro
- Selected because of its recent move to and overall benefit to the city, the electrical supplies distributor came to Union City in mid- 2011 and is already among the city’s top 25 sales tax generators, according to a June Economic and Community Development report. The company moved its point of sales and front office operations to Union City’s Dowe Business Park from Hayward. Gexpro offers more than 250,000 products from more than 200 manufacturers worldwide, according to the June report.
Environmental Award: Finelite
- Recognized for its environmentally friendly practices, the high-performance lighting fixture manufacturer also won the StopWaste Business Partnership Leadership and Achievement in Sustainability Award last year. According the City of Union City website, Finelite reduced its waste production by 84 percent and recycles paper, cardboard, metal wood and other materials. The company also involves its employees in its environmental efforts by offering perks and incentives. Finelite also for a roundtable discussion with Bay Area manufacturing executives in March.
- The three businesses will be recognized for their community involvement, both through volunteer efforts and financial support. According to a June Economic and Community Development report, Southern Wine & Spirits is the largest private employer in Union City with a staff of 1,100. The company sponsors a number of local events, as well as participates in regional charity events.
- The Masonic Homes hosts a variety of events at its site in the Union City Hills, including a Veterans Day service, Christmas tree lighting, the annual Mutt Strut and more.
- Walmart supports various local events and activities, including the “Stuff the Bus” school supply drive and Union City Street Eats; Walmart donates its share of the proceeds from the weekly food truck event to the New Haven Schools Foundation, according to the New Haven Unified School District.
The Union City Business Appreciation Awards will be held Thursday, Sept. 13 from noon to 2 p.m. at City of Union City at 34009 Alvarado-Niles Rd. For more information about the event, click on the flyer above.