The following is a summary of significant crime and incidents reported in Union City between Nov. 26 and Dec. 4 as released by the Union City Police Department. Reports have been lightly edited for Patch style.
Tuesday, Nov. 26
- Tatted thief breaks into car in Chili’s parking lot. A car was broken into around 1 p.m. at Union Landing in the Chili’s parking lot. A Hispanic male suspect with both arms covered with tattoos was scene smashing the vehicle’s window and removing property. He was not located by officers.
Wednesday, Nov. 27
- Man arrested after robbing bartender of car, cash and phone. Officers responded to a robbery at 12:41 a.m. at Jim’s Cocktail Lounge on Alvarado-Niles Road. The bartender was alone in the bar when a male suspect entered and asked for a drink. The suspect then suddenly punched the bartender and hit him with bottles and other objects. The suspect stole the bartender’s car and cell phone, along with cash from the bar. The investigation led officers to Oakland where they located the suspect and the victim’s vehicle. The suspect was subsequently arrested.
Friday, Nov. 29
- Attempted robbery on Railroad Avenue. A suspect in a white van tried to rob a pedestrian around 1:45 a.m. in the area of Railroad Avenue and Whipple Road. The male victim was walking along Railroad Avenue when the van pulled up next to him. A male suspect in the van demanded money but the victim ran away. The suspect then fled the area.
- Black Friday shoplifters loot Walmart. Walmart loss prevention workers were pushed down after confronting multiple shoplifting suspects around 9:33 a.m. The suspects fled on foot and were not located.
- Trespasser with replica gun arrested. Officers were sent to a home on H Street to investigate a man who was trespassing and squatting in a trailer. The suspect was also reported to have a handgun. Officers arrived and found the suspect, who attempted to flee. Officers caught him and found him in possession of a replica firearm. The suspect also had active warrants and was arrested.
- Another classy Walmart shopper. Officers returned to Walmart at about 2 p.m. for another in-progress theft. A shoplifter who was being detained by loss prevention broke free from the store employee but was caught by police officers a short distance away.
Saturday, Nov. 30
- Speeding driver arrested with gun, ammo and weed. Officers stopped a speeding car on Whipple Road around 8:50 p.m. The driver told officers that he had marijuana in the car and became nervous. Officers searched the vehicle and found a concealed handgun and ammo. He was arrested and transported to jail.
Monday, Dec. 2
- Motorcycle thief arrested. Officers spotted a speeding motorcyclist around 12:35 a.m. on Whipple Road near Ithaca Street. As officers tried to catch up to the motorcycle, the driver sped away and tried to flee. The motorcycle suddently stalled and came to a stop. Officers detained the driver and learned the motorcycle was stolen out of San Jose. The suspect was also found in possession of methamphetamines and was subsequently arrested.
Tuesday, Dec. 3
- Kidnapping, assault suspect arrested. On Saturday, Union City police learned of a wanted assault and kidnapping suspect who fled from Fremont officers earlier in the day. Union City officers spotted the suspect on a motorcycle on Mission Boulevard that day but he managed to flee officers again. The Major Crimes Task Force and Fremont SWAT officers traced the suspect several days later on Tuesday, Dec. 3 to a home on Carobe Court in Union City where he was arrested without incident.
Anyone with information on any of the listed cases should contact the Investigations Division at 510-675-5247. Those wishing to remain anonymous can contact the tips line by calling 510-675-5207 or email Tips@union-city.org.