The following is a summary of significant crime and incidents reported in Union City between Nov. 13 and 20 as released by the Union City Police Department. Reports have been lightly edited for Patch style.
Wednesday, Nov. 13
- Attempted purse snatching at Union Square Marketplace. Two male suspects attempted to pull a purse off of a female victim’s shoulder at about 7:18 p.m. at the Union Square Marketplace (Safeway shopping center) near JenJon's and Break Your Fast. The victim held onto her purse and didn’t allow the suspects to rip it from her shoulder. The suspects eventually gave up and ran away.
- Teen makes up kidnapping story to avoid punishment. Officers investigated a possible kidnapping of a 14-year-old girl at around 8:40 p.m. Police received information that the girl had been kidnapped in Union City, assaulted and left on Mission Boulevard in Hayward. The victim was brought to the Union City police station for an interview where she admitted to making up the story because she was out with her boyfriend and didn’t return home on time.
Thursday, Nov. 14
- Pedestrian unharmed in drive-by shooting. A man managed to escape a drive-by shooting unharmed after getting into a verbal altercation with suspects in a vehicle on Ithaca Drive near Fay Court shortly before 4 p.m. Read the story here.
Friday, Nov. 15
- Elderly Man Killed in Pedestrian-Vehicle accident. A 74-year-old Union City resident died after being hit by a car on Alvarado-Niles Road at Central Avenue. Officers responded to the scene at about 10: 11 a.m. where they found the victim — identified as Rogeilio Razon — suffering from life-threatening injuries. Razon was transported to a local trauma center where he eventually succumbed to his injuries. The driver continued driving after the accident but was located a short distance away on Alvarado-Niles Road after hitting a parked car. She cooperated with officers and may have been in shock after striking Razon, police said. The case is under investigation. Read the original report here.
- Suspicion person arrested. Officers responded to Deborah Drive at Laura Way at around 8 p.m. on a report of a male chasing after and threatening to shoot another male. Officers searched the area and located a man who was acting suspicious and trying to hide. He was detained and found the be in possession of drugs.
Saturday, Nov. 16
- Three burglary suspects arrested. Police were patrolling the area of Western Avenue and Pacific Street in response to a rash of commercial burglaries when they came across a suspicious vehicle around 2:42 a.m. The car was near the former San Francisco Chronicle plant at 1550 Pacific Ave. Officers stopped the vehicle and later located two additional male suspects. It was determined that the three had just burglarized the building and had stolen computer equipment in their possession. All three were arrested.
Sunday, Nov. 17
- Tenant threatens to kill apartment manager. Officers responded to the Medalian Apartments at 2500 Medallion Dr. at 12:26 p.m. to investigate a disturbance. A tenant threatened to kill the apartment manager after accusing the manager of sleeping with her spouse. The tenant was arrested on suspicion of making criminal threats.
Wednesday, Nov. 20
- Assault, car theft on Teddy Drive. A resident on Teddy Drive was inside his home when he heard noises coming from his driveway at around 2:40 a.m. When he went outside to check on his vehicle, he was confronted by a male suspect who attacked him and took his keys. The suspect then stole the vehicle and drove away.
Anyone with information on any of the listed cases should contact the Investigations Division at 510-675-5247. Those wishing to remain anonymous can contact the tips line by calling 510-675-5207 or email Tips@union-city.org.