The following is a summary of significant crime and incidents reported in Union City between Nov. 21 and 24 as released by the Union City Police Department. Reports have been lightly edited for Patch style.
Thursday, Nov. 21
- Burglars tunnel through wall at GameStop. Officers responded to a burglary at the GameStop located at 31079 Courthouse Dr. in Union Landing at 12:22 a.m. Investigators learned that the suspects entered the videogame store by breaking into an adjacent vacant building and burrowing through a shared wall. The burglars were loading the stolen merchandise into their vehicle when they were interrupted by a security guard. The suspects then fled in their vehicle.
- Suspect throws rocks at passing motorists, people. A woman was assaulted as she walked by a female suspect who was throwing rocks at passing motorists on Alvarado Boulevard near the railroad tracks at 11:42 a.m. When the suspect noticed the victim, she drew her attention toward her and threw a metal object at her, striking the victim in the arm. The suspect then fled the area.
- Thirsty thief threatens to stab grocery workers in the neck. A female suspect tried to walk out of the Union Landing Lucky store with a bottle of alcohol that she didn’t pay for at about 7:35 p.m. When store employees tried to stop her, she pulled out a folding knife and threatened to stab the employees in the neck before running away.
- Juvenile shoots Walmart shopper with BB gun. Officers were sent to Walmart at about 8:56 p.m. to investigate an assault with a bb gun. The victim reported that he was shopping in the store when a male juvenile riding a bike inside of the store pulled out a bb gun and shot him in the neck. The injury was not life-threatening. Store security was called but the juvenile was not located.
- Juvenile arrested with loaded handgun. Officers patrolling the Shell station on Alvarado-Niles Road and Almaden Boulevard around 11:45 p.m. spotted a 16-year-old boy acting suspicious in the parking lot. Officers began questioning the juvenile when he suddenly turned and ran away. Officers chased after the juvenile, detained him and located a loaded .38 caliber handgun in his waistband. The juvenile, who may be involved in gang activity, was arrested and taken to juvenile hall.
Friday, Nov. 22
- Expired tags, stolen gun. Officers stopped a car with expired registration on Alvarado-Niles Road just before 10 p.m. Officers noticed the smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle and searched it. The driver was found with a stolen 9mm handgun tucked in his waistband. He was arrested and booked.
Saturday, Nov. 23
- Subway robbed at gunpoint. An armed robber held up the Subway on Alvarado-Niles Rd. at about 6 p.m. The male suspect entered the store with a handgun and a bandana over his face. He ordered the clerk to get on the floor. He then stole cash from the register and fled the store. The clerk was not injured.
Sunday, Nov. 24
- Elderly woman wields 10-inch knife. Officers were sent to the Holiday Inn Express at Union Landing at around 6:19 p.m. to investigate a report of an elderly woman swinging a 10-inch knife and acting strange. Minutes later, officers received a call about the same woman now at the Lucky store. The woman was located in the store and placed on a psychiatric hold.
Anyone with information on any of the listed cases should contact the Investigations Division at 510-675-5247. Those wishing to remain anonymous can contact the tips line by calling 510-675-5207 or email Tips@union-city.org.