The Newark Police Department invites residents to participate in two fundraisers to benefit the family of fallen BART Police Sergeant Tommy Smith.
Smith died after he was accidentally shot by a colleague while conducting a search of a robbery suspect's apartment at 6450 Dougherty Road in Dublin around 2 p.m. on Jan. 21.
Smith, 42, was a 23-year veteran at BART. Smith is survived by his wife, who is K-9 officer with the BART Police Department, and his 6-year-old daughter, according to the Officer Down Memorial Page, a website dedicated to fallen officers.Smith's brother is an officer with the Newark Police Department. Smith is the first BART officer to die in the line of duty.
Details provided by Newark Police Nixle Alert:
The first event is the Smith Family Benefit held at Crossfit OneWorld in Union City on Sunday March 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM.
The event is a CrossFit style “Hero Workout” open to anyone who wants to participate to honor the loss of BART Police Department Sergeant Tommy Smith. All fitness levels are welcome. There will be a silent auction and a raffle of some great donated items and entrance into a Crossfit Level One Seminar (valued at $1000). There is no set registration fee to participate in the workout. $40 is recommended but not required and includes a commemorative event T-shirt.
Online registration is preferable but you will be able to sign up on the morning of the event. There will be on-site delicious food available from Out of the Cave - Paleo Food Truck. Auction and Raffle will begin at approximately 11:00 AM. All proceeds will be going to the Smith Family.
Another event being held to honor Sergeant Smith and help raise funds is the 2014 Police Unity Tour that starts in New Jersey and ends in Washington D.C. at the National Law Enforcement Memorial. Fremont Police Officer Ron Nevin will be riding in the event and representing Sergeant Smith as well as other fallen officers. Proceeds raised goes to the memorial.
For more information or to help with these two great causes please click on the below links:
Smith Family Benefit
2014 Police Unity Tour
- Memorial Fund Created for Family of Fallen BART Officer
- Funeral for BART Officer to be Held Next Wednesday
- BART Officials Identify Officer Who Fatally Shot Colleague
- Update: BART Officer Killed by Friendly Fire Identified
- Autopsy: BART Officer Killed by Single Shot to Chest
- Subject of Probation Search that Turned Deadly Charged with Robbery
- BART Police Chief Says Fallen Officer Will 'Be Greatly…
- Fallen BART Officer Lived in San Ramon
- City Flag at Half-Staff to Honor Fallen Officer
- State of the City Address Postponed for BART Officer's Funeral