By Bay City News Service
HAYWARD — Firefighters rescued a dog from a fire at a Hayward home Sunday night, a fire inspector said.
Fire crews responded to a report of a fire at a single-story house on Lafayette Avenue near the Union City border around 8:15 p.m. Sunday, Hayward Fire Inspector Gerry Price said.
The first crews on the scene encountered black smoke coming from the front door.
Crews entered the home and were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen, knocking down the flames in 10 to 15 minutes, Price said.
The couple living in the home safely evacuated but told fire personnel that their 13-year-old basset hound, Maddie, was still inside.
Fire crews "went through every bedroom, nook, cranny and closet and found the dog," Price said.
Hayward firefighter Ed Camera scooped up the dog, unharmed, and carried it to safety, Price said. No injuries to residents or firefighters were reported.
Objects on top of a lit kitchen stove apparently started the fire, according to Price. The kitchen sustained significant damage while the rest of the house sustained only smoke damage.