This week in UC: UCLS kicks off its summer aquatic season, the Chamber of Commerce holds its annual BBQ business luncheon and the summer Gourmet Food Truck Festival series begins.
- Union City Leisure Services’ Aquatics program kicks off its summer session on Monday, June 27, at the , located across from James Logan High School at 33901 Syracuse Ave. Classes include Parent & Me (ages 6 months to 5 years, plus mom or dad); Tiny Tots (for ages 3 to 5); private lessons for ages 5 and older; and the Learn-to-Swim Program. Those simply wishing to go for a swim can enjoy recreation swim time Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. and Friday from 1 to 3 p.m. Lifeguards will be on duty and flotation devices are not permitted. Children ages 6 and younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. For more information, visit www.unioncity.org or call 510-675-5486.
- Seniors and those with disabilities can with a workshop on Tuesday, June 28, at the from 9 a.m. to noon. The workshop will be repeated on June 30. Through classroom instruction and an outing on a Union City Transit bus and BART train, participants will learn how to plan trips, read transit schedules, pay fares, transfer between buses and BART, and travel on transit safely. Those attending the workshop will receive free bus and BART tickets. This class is made possible through a partnership with the City of Fremont and Tri-City Travel Training Program, which receives funding from the Alameda County Transportation Commission. For more information, phone 510-574-2053.
- The first session of Union City Sports Center’s Coed Volleyball Mixer Nights takes place June 28 at the Sports Center. Every Tuesday evening, from 7 to 9 p.m., this clinic will give beginners a chance to learn the fundamentals of volleyball, let experienced players sharpen their serves and spikes, and let everyone involved enjoy the coed company! This class is for those ages 16 and older. A full season pass for the Coed Volleyball Mixer Nights is $60 for Union City residents and $70 for non-residents. The drop-in rate is $7 for residents and $12 per session for non-residents. For more information, call 510-675-5805.
- Join the Union City Chamber of Commerce the afternoon of Thursday, June 30, and meet local government and city officials along with regional business leaders at the annual BBQ luncheon. This event is the perfect opportunity to meet key community members and have an opportunity to talk with local officials in a relaxed environment. The gathering will be held at City Hall, 34009 Alvarado Niles Rd., from noon to 2:30 p.m. Although free, an RSVP is required. To RSVP to this event, or for more information, please contact Dana Hernandez at (510) 952-9637 or email@example.com.
- The first in a series of food truck meet-ups kicks off Thursday, from 4 to 8 p.m. near Walmart at Union Landing. The will feature seven or eight mobile restaurants serving up a variety of dishes to please any palate, including Fremont's Grill Stars Curbside Cuisine. A full list of participating vendors will be released later in the week. Stay tuned to Union City Patch for updates.
Become a blogger today!
Get started now