People often drive through Smith Street unaware of the history they pass by.
The area, originally known as Alvarado, was named after former Mexican Governor of California Juan Bautista Alvarado in the early 1850s, according to a Union City 50th Anniversary Celebration Committee guidebook.
According to historian Tim Swenson's Alvarado Walking Tour, many of the buildings there today date back to the early 1900s. The Smith Street Convenience Market, for example, was originally built in 1917.
Today, Old Alvarado is still active, with many independent businesses serving the Union City Community. Old Alvarado Park also hosts the weekly every Saturday morning. The Union City Historical Museum is housed in the original Alvarado Firehouse, which was built in the 1940s. It also served as the first City Hall in 1959 when Union City incorporated, according to Swenson's research.
Patch contributor Paciano Triunfo photographed a few of these historic buildings during a night photo session. View the gallery and learn more about the sites above.