Heads up! Here are five things going on this week that you should know about:
- On Monday and Tuesday, Paddy's Coffee House will collect donations to support the victims of a four-alarm fire that gutted 10 businesses at the Alvarado Place Shopping Center last Wednesday. Community members are encouraged to contribute any amount and are not obligated to make a purchase at the café. "We have all patronized those businesses in some way or the other and enjoyed their hospitality. Now it is our turn to help them when they need it most," owner Paddy Iyer said. Paddy's is open from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. both days.
- Union City City Council candidate Jose Estrella hosts another Community Bike Ride this Wednesday. All residents are invited to attend. The bike ride starts at 5:45 p.m. at Kennedy Park. A community bike ride will also be held next week.
- Eat at Panda Express this Thursday and raise money for Kitayama Elementary School. Stop by any time between noon and 10 p.m. at the restaurant, located at 30158 Industrial Pkwy. in the Hayward Target shopping center, present this flyer here, and 20 percent of the proceeds will go to the school.
- Learn bicycle safety tips Saturday at the Hayward Public Library. Hosted by the East Bay Bicycle Coalition from 1 to 4:30 p.m., the interactive course will teach you the basics of safe cycling, riding in traffic, crash avoidance and more. The class is designed for teens and adults 14 and above.
- Purple Monkey Yoga continues to host free programs for the community. On Saturday from 2:30 to 4 p.m., the Old Alvarado yoga studio will host its designed to help those with cancer alleviate physical and emotional pain. Yoga benefits may include better sleep, decreased fatigue and reduced anxiety, among others.