Heads up! Here are five things going on this week that you should know about:
- Watch the presidential debates at your local library and have a discussion with others in your community. A debate will be aired this Wednesday at the Union City Library at 5:45 p.m. Debates will also be shown throughout the month at other Alameda County libraries.
- Become Einstein for a day at Science in the Park this Saturday. Starting at 9 a.m. at Alden E. Oliver Sports Park (across from Pepsi on the Union City-Hayward border), children of all ages can explore the worlds of Earth, health and science. The event will feature rocket launches, science experiments, an egg drop contest, face painting and more. For more details, click here.
- One of the largest events in Union City, the annual Our Lady of the Rosary Church Festival returns this Saturday and Sunday. Held all day long, the festival will have plenty to see, do and eat. The annual event will feature dozens of game and food vendors, a car show and a variety of performers.
- Save money and give your kids new costumes at Macaroni Kid Fremont and Pacific West Gymnastics' Green Halloween Costume Swap Day. Starting at 4 p.m. on Saturday, parents can drop off their child's old costumes in exchange for a ticket to "shop" for new (to your children) costume at a cost of $5 per child. Organizers are also looking for volunteers. Find more info here.
- Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month with Dans di Ballo. The Union City-based dance studio will hold its first annual breast cancer awareness event this Sunday at the W Hotel in Newark from 2 to 5 p.m. Enjoy zumba and meet local leaders as they join together for a worthy cause. Dans di Ballo will also deliver a check to Washington Hospital to help low income women afford mammograms. Tickets are $20 in advance or $25 the day of the event.