Here are five events coming up this week that you should know about:
- Celebrate . The retirement community is opening its doors to the community as it brings the flavors of Germany to Union City on Wednesday, Oct. 12. From 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., guests will be treated to German music, beer and food. Bottoms up!
- On Wednesday, Union City Patch turns 1! And what a year it's been! In honor of our one-year mark, we'll be running a retrospective with some of the highlights from this past year. What were some of your favorite stories?
- Feeling lucky? Then check out this Thursday. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., with DAB games beginning at 6 p.m., special games starting at 6:45 p.m. and regular games at 7 p.m. Free dinner is provided to all bingo players. Paper and machine bingo games are available. Paper buy-in begins at $25 for one to four packs, with Turbo Bingo buy-ins beginning at $30 for a "power pack.” For more information, call 510-489-1837 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It's time for the New Haven Schools Foundation's annual Halloween-themed pooch party -- the . From 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m Saturday, "pet families" will participate in a number of activities, including a walk/run with their dog, a costume contest and doggy games, along with a barbecue. Advanced registration is $25 for one participant and $45 for two. Advanced registration comes with a t-shirt, barbecue ticket and goody bag. To register for the event, visit the foundation’s website at www.nhsfoundation.com or contact Aro-Valle at 471-3850 or email@example.com.
- Youth and Family Services will hold its first annual 3-on-3 youth basketball tournament on Saturday, Oct. 15 to help raise awareness for its Street Outreach program. To be held at Contempo Park, the tournament will run from noon to 5 p.m. with up to eight teams in three age groups (12-13, 14-15 and 16-18) in both boys and girls divisions. It's free to participate, and the winning team in each division will receive $100 gift card prize. To register or receive more information, contact Darl Michael at 510-453-8418 or Jasmine Valentine at 510-453-6956.