Heads up! Here are five things going on this week that you should know about:
- Join Union City City Council candidate Jose Estrella as he hosts a Community Bike Ride on Wednesday. All residents are invited to attend. The bike ride starts at 5:45 p.m. at Kennedy Park. Bike rides will also be held on Oct. 17 and 24.
- Are you struggling to cope with a relative's alcohol addiction? You're not alone. Every Wednesday, Kaiser hosts "Alateen," a support group for teens troubled by a loved one's drinking, and "Courage to Change," a support group for adults and families. Both are held from 7:45 to 9 p.m. Click on the individual links for more information.
- After a short break, Molly Sokhom returns to host Paddy's Standup Showcase this Friday. This week's show, starting at 8:30 p.m., will feature a variety of hilarious local talent with headliner Myles Weber. Weber was the winner of the 2012 Bay Area All-Star Comedy Competition.
- Join the New Haven Schools Foundation at the 4th Annual Mutt Strut. To be held Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon at the Masonic Homes of Union City, the Mutt Strut is a fun walk or run event designed for you and your pooch. The event will feature dog games, a dog costume contest, vendors, prizes and more. Registration is $30 per person or $50 for a family registration pack. For more details, click here.
- Also on Saturday, children can enjoy a special Halloween program at Haywar'd McConaghy House. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., children can explore the old Victorian house, decorate pumpkins, listen to spooky stories and more. The entry cost is $2 for children, $3 for adults and free for Hayward Area Historical Society members.