Heads up! Here are five things going on this week that you should know about:
- Baby baggage adding extra pounds? Join Tri-Cities/Milpitas Stroller Strides, a total fitness program designed for moms to workout while entertaining and engaging their babies. The program includes power walking, strength exercises and other workouts intertwined with singing and activities for the babies, too. The group meets Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 9 a.m. on the second floor of NewPark Mall in front of the Sears store. Classes are also held Sunday afternoons in Fremont. The first class is free, with regular classes starting at $15 a session. For more information, click here.
- Do you have a story to share? Join the Write Your Story memoir writing group at the Union City Library on Tuesday from 1 to 3 p.m. Led by senior library member and Tri-City Voice contributor Suzanne Ortt, the meeting will allow attendees to exchange and share ideas. Bring a pen and paper. For more info,contact Suzanne Ortt at 510-489-3793 or email@example.com.
- For their service to this country, Massage Evny is offering free massages and facials on Wednesday to current and retired military personnel and their spouses. Located at 30963 Courthouse Dr. in Union Landing, the spa will offer the free services throughout the day from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- In honor of Erick Lising, a UCLS employee who passed away earlier this year, the Union City Sports Center will donate all drop-in fees collected on Thursday to the American Diabetes Association for Diabetes Awareness Day. The Sports Center will be open from 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. As well, the American Diabetes Association and Kaiser Permanente will be on site at the Sports Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. to provide information about diabetes and diabetes prevention. The American Red Cross will also be hosting a blood drive the same day from 1 to 6 p.m. To schedule an appointment or for more information, call (510) 675-5808 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Test your luck and compete for a chance to win hundreds of dollars at either of two weekly bingo nights in Union City. Each Thursday is Bingo Night at SDES Alvarado, located 30846 Watkins St. The weekly event starts at 6 p.m. (doors open at 4:30 p.m.) and comes with a free dinner. Then on Friday, it's the Southern Alameda County Buddhist Church Bingo Night. A local tradition since 1998, the Friday night event starts at 5 p.m. and includes free coffee and tea.