Heads up! Here are five things going on this week that you should know about:
- The today at Joanne Brown Dancers. The local dance studio, which celebrates 32 years in Union City this year, offers a variety of classes, from jazz to hip-hop, for ages 2 and up. For the class schedule and rates, visit joannebrowndancers.com.
- Public speaking is the number 1 fear of many people. Are you one of them? Learn to overcome your apprehensions by joining the when they meet tonight from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Union City Library. Toastmasters, which meets the first and third Mondays of each month, provides a no-pressure environment and is free for anyone.
- Support and celebrate local business at the City of Union City and Chamber of Commerce's third annual ceremony. To be held Thursday from noon to 2 p.m. at City Hall, the event will honor outstanding businesses in Union City. Lunch will be provided.
- Register your second to fifth-grader for this Saturday at Conley Caraballo High School in Hayward. The camp will focus on basketball fundamentals and offers a low coach-to-athlete ratio. The camp fee is $45. See more registration details .
- Is your kid the next chess wizard? Then hone his or her skills at the Union City Library's free . Held Saturdays from 4 to 5 p.m. and led by two chess masters, the club will help children ages 8 to 14 learn how to play and the best strategies for winning.