Heads up! Here are five things going on this week that you should know about:
- Summer break is over. That means Union City children will be Wednesday morning. It will be a minimum day with classes at elementary schools starting at 8 a.m. and ending at 12:05 p.m. Middle school classes will begin at 8:40 a.m. and let out at 11:50 a.m. At Logan, where every Wednesday is a minimum day, classes start at 8:20 a.m. and end at 1:50 p.m. Conley-Caraballo will operate on its regular scheduled, starting at 8:07 a.m. and ending at 12:36 p.m. The normal dismissal times for classes at elementary schools this year will be 2:05 p.m. and 2:55 p.m. at middle schools. Classes end at Logan at 3:25 p.m.
- Those too young for school won't be left out on Wednesday. From 10:30 to 11 a.m., parents can bring their little ones to the Union City Library for a free class. The event will feature musical activities, sing-alongs, finger plays, instruments and more.
- Purple Monkey continues with a series of community-oriented events starting Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. with to help reduce stress, relieve aches and pains and cultivate confidence. On Saturday, the yoga studio will hold its to help alleviate physical and emotional pain.
- Taking care of loved ones with mental illness is no easy task. On Thursday, the National Alliance on Mental Illness kicks off to help caregivers, relatives and friends to better understand and support those with mental illness. The courses are led by trained NAMI members. Classes are free. The first class will be held from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the , located at 33077 Alvarado-Niles Rd. To register, contact Michele Smith at 510-790-1010 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Celebrate Filipino food and music at the seventh annual . Held on on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Veteran's Park, this free fun-filled family event will feature live entertainment, delicious food, prizes, an Adobo Contest, a Kiddie Pop Star Competition (for ages 4 to 10), the Adobo Festival Variety Show and more.