Although Union Landing offers an abundance of big-box stores for your holiday shopping needs, Union City also has a number of "mom and pop" retailers that can provide unique and thoughtful gifts for the special people on your list.
Need help finding that en vogue gift for your fashion-conscious family member or friend? Union City has a few unique clothing boutiques with items for sale that you won't find at any of the nearby shopping centers or malls.
- Offering more than its name lets on, is a boutique-style store that sells the latest in cutting-edge shoes and casual clothing for men, women and even toddlers (check out the Dr. Suess Converse). Brands include Obey, 10Deep, Huf, Stussy and Upper Playground, among others. The shoe collection also includes limited "lifestyle" styles from Nike and Vans. is located at 31019 Courthouse Drive and is open Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. The phone number is (510) 441-1120.
- Not only does (at 3904 Smith St., next to Paddy's) sell contemporary street wear (including their own Kingdom line) and accessories (hats, sunglasses and watches), it also hosts special hosts special events, such as clothing label releases, sales and charity benefits. Many of the store's offerings are from local clothing companies such as IMPRM, City League and Below the Surface, giving the store a community vibe. Kingdom is open Tuesday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The phone number is (510) 952-9069.
Whether their passion is Barbie, puppies or remote control racing cars, the hobbyists on your list will appreciate gifts from local specialty stores.
- For the RC enthusiast in your life, make a pit stop at , 30600 Union City Blvd. Along with a car selection that includes buggy, truggy, short course and monster trucks, NorCal carries every component needed to keep the mini motor cars going. They are open Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The phone umber is (510) 324-5700.
- "There's a little Barbie in all of us," says Sandi Holder, owner of , a museum and retail shop dedicated to the all-American doll and her family of friends. The recently relocated museum portion of the Doll Attic does not reopen until after the new year, but anything a Barbie collector could pine for can be found in this shop, located at 33457 Western Ave. Sandi Holder's Doll Attic is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday by appointment only. The phone number is (510) 489-0221.
- For the pet parent on your list, visit at 32160 Dyer St. in Union Landing (next to Mountain Mike's Pizza) or visit their warehouse at 34571 7th St., appropriately located near . This pet supply store carries a wide selection of collars, leashes, food, flea control and nearly anything else cats or dogs would want to get their paws on. Waggin Tails Pet Supplies (510-471-7387) is open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The hours differ at the 7th Street location. For more information, visit the Waggin Tails website.